Monday, February 12, 2007

The next frontier ..... online dating!!

I'll admit it, I've talked a lot of smack about people who look for their "soul mates" on the internet. I assumed that one must be the most desparate type of person if they're actually going to throw it all out there hoping upon hope that some other loser is looking at their profile.

Now??
Eating my words.

I love traveling and going to new places, but in all honesty it's hard to meet people. I work in a field that's mainly all females (not a lot of guys in the neonate field), I generally don't have any friends in the locations I'm going, and it's not like I'm going to go to a bar by myself.... talk about pathetic and desparate!!! In Virginia, I just lucked out and met someone by chance at a coffee shop, but I decided that with this move to Little Rock I'm going to try a new tactic. Match.com has had a pretty agressive advertising campaign on TV so I thought, what the hell??? At the best I'll meet an interesting guy who's fun to hang out with, at the worst I'll meet some complete jerks or weirdos who will make for good blog entries. Match works by the single person putting up a profile, posting some pictures, then basically waiting for people to contact you. There is the option of searching for folks and initiating contact, but I'm lazy and I thought I'd just see what happens. Shockingly in a matter of a day, I had received about a dozen "winks" and two emails. Most of the guys seem (at least on the surface profile they posted) to be pretty decent. There is the occasional gentleman old enough to be my Dad sending me a wink despite the fact that I have NOT indicated that I'm into the AARP set, but overall they seem to be quality. Now the key will be in seeing if after emailing folks, they actually represent well in real life. I don't want to be shallow, but there's gotta be a connection when you meet someone and I do have standards!! Two guys have good potential so far and I'm planning on going out with Bachelor #1 on Wednesday. I'm cautiously optimistic, but there's also the possibility that he's a raving lunatic or deranged murderer. Maybe I'll just introduce myself under an alias and carry a weapon??? We'll just see how it goes.

On the other side of things, I went ahead and signed up for eHarmony whose commercials claim that it's "Falling in love from the inside out." They have this ridiculously long questionnaire that maps out your "dimensions" and then they find matches for you. After they find matches there is this whole complicated process of "guided communication" that's supposed to help me learn someone's character. As if a multiple choice question asking, "What are your thoughts on chemistry?" is going to reveal someone's character?? Despite having over 20 matches identified for me, I still haven't made it through the guided communication process for any of them. So we'll see if that amounts to anything other than $110 down the drain.


Yes this may seem pathetic to you married folks out there, but this is what happens when you make it to your 30s and have no single friends. If I'd just gotten married at 20 and had all three of my kids, I wouldn't be in this situation. I'd probably want to kill myself, but at least I wouldn't have to online date.

No comments: