Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Marathon Dreams or Marathon Madness??

I don't know whether I'm ambitious or just COMPLETELY crazy, but I just registered for this fall's Chicago Marathon. The race will be October 7th, so I have seven full months to coax my body into going 26.2 miles which as I'm typing this just seems ridiculously insane! I mean I'm a girl who just started running a year ago and let's be honest, I haven't consistently trained for the past four months. I have this major lazy streak in me ... you know that overwhelming drive to sit on the couch and watch TV or surf the internet for hours on end. Committing to this marathon means committing to at least 4 months of regimented training. Doing it half-way won't get me to the finish line and there's no point in doing this if I don't finish (not to mention I can't waste the $110 entry fee!!).

I have to believe that this is something I'm capable of. At the moment, there is definitely some doubt in the back of my mind, but I need to remember all that I've already accomplished . I ran my first 5K in April 2006 after starting in February barely able to run for 1 minute non-stop. I finished two sprint distance triathlons last summer, even finishing in the top 3rd in my age group at Danskin Chicago. I even managed to complete a half-marathon despite almost totally ignoring my training plan which likely resulted in my snail's pace of 13 minute miles. So why shouldn't I be able to do this?? Especially if I truly commit to following a training plan?

I need to put aside the old Jenn, the one who thought that doing something like this was completely out the realm of possibilities. I mean sure it's cheesy, but if you dream it - you can achieve it.

Can I do a marathon??
Absolutely!

No comments: