Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Not sure if I have "hot legs"??

Tonight I ran with the local women's running group known as the "Hot Legs." It turns out that Bachelor #1 (let's just abbreviate it as B#1) has two sisters who are involved so he put me in touch with one of them. She contacted me and promised that I would find someone to pace with me so I tentatively planned on joining them.

Now even under the best of circumstances I'm pretty slow (think 10-11 minute miles), but I haven't run regularly since October so right now I am ridiculously slow, and out of shape ... did I mention the side stitches and feelings of wanting to vomit on the side of the road?? Yeah - I'm THAT kind of runner!

Add to this the fact that I've never run with other people and you end up with a very nervous Jenn!! I was thinking all day of ways to get out of it, some excuse to make as to why I couldn't make it, but I met B#1 for lunch and he encouraged me to "step outside your comfort zone, it's served you well so far." So I took his advice and tried something different and it turns out I really enjoyed it. The women were all very friendly and though they did run a little faster than was comfortable for me - it pushed me in a way that I would never have on my own. It turns out that one of the Hot Legs is looking for a partner to relay the Little Rock half-marathon next weekend so I think I'll do it. This might turn out to be a good thing for me since I've never had a training partner. I have my online community at BT who are an awesome support, as well as my cousin Travis - but I think it's a totally different thing to actually train alongside someone.

We'll just have to see how many other positive things happen in my life by pushing past my boundaries!!

No comments: