Monday, September 10, 2007

Hakuna Matata


It means no worries, for the rest of your days - it's our problem free, philosophy!

BJ took me to see The Lion King last night for my birthday and IT WAS WONDERFUL!! We saw it at the Orpheum Theater in Memphis and though it's not nearly as cool a place to see a show as The Fabulous Fox in St. Louis it still had a lot of charm.

I knew I'd love the show given that The Lion King has always been my favorite Disney movie. I remember listening to the soundtrack over and over in college as I curled up under my Simba blanket in the Pi Phi house :) I don't know why it's taken me so long to see the show, I think I forgot to order tickets during tours that came through St Louis and Denver in the past. I have to say that it was worth the wait! The show of course had the amazing music from the film, but visually the set and characterizations were stunning! The use of puppetry, the characters coming through the aisles, the imaginative way of taking cartoon images and translating them to the stage - it was just amazing. It was a show that could appeal to adults and children as evidenced by many families with their youngsters in tow. I'd much rather bring my kids to something like this than say Disney Princesses on Ice or The Wiggles.

Before the show, we walked down Beale St and ate dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. I ordered my beer in a souvenir glass which may be totally cliche but I've never been to a Hard Rock before. Interesting bit of trivia is that the founders of the chain were originally from Memphis hence the menu of burgers and BBQ.

After the show, we had these fabulous pastries at the Blues City Pastry Company. BJ had a fruit tart and I had a peanut butter cream tart, we both needed strong coffee to cut the richness a bit and caffeinate us for the two hour drive home.

All in all, it was a perfect birthday present! Hakuna Matata!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! My niece and sister also said the show was amazing. Having said that, dont't knock Disney on Ice, sister!!

Kevin said...

I am glad that you had a great Birthday trip to Memphis!!