Thursday, September 20, 2007

Thursday's Trip Down Memory Lane

Now that I have ALL of my pictures out of storage and in my possession - the good, the bad, and the flat out embarrassing - I will start a new feature that I like to call Thursday's Trip Down Memory Lane.

Today's trip takes us to a magical time in a young girl's life, the Senior Prom. As an adult, I've always found it fascinating that when people talk about their high school prom it's a total love/hate thing. Either it was the most horrible evening ever spent with another person involving boutonnieres and corsages or it was a lot of fun. I fall into the category of it was an AWESOME night!!

The theme was U2's "All I Want is U" which I was so stoked about given that I was a crazed fan of their music even back then. My prom date (sticker across the face to protect the innocent who has not consented to general blog distribution) was the boyfriend I had met at my after school job at K's Merchandise. I sold housewares, he sold electronics - it was a match made in retail heaven. He was very sweet and romantic, you know the cheesy type that sends you flowers and mushy cards that looking back makes you gag. The year was 1991 and while some girls went with the short, tight sequined look, for some reason I was thinking Scarlett O'Hara, debutante ball, bridesmaid dress. Either way, I looked pretty hot despite the overwhelming amount of eye makeup and scary post-80s bangs. The evening happened to coincide with our 6 month anniversary and aforementioned cheesy boy sent 6 lavender roses to school that day to symbolize our time together [pause to allow readers to throw up just a little bit] .

It's a shame you can't actually see the skinny size 5 body I've been desperate to reclaim for over a decade beneath all of the crinoline and metallic taffeta!

I challenge any of my blog readers to share their prom horrors .... ahem memories :)

5 comments:

Kevin said...

Prom Horror Stories? That is easy. Junior Prom--Girl I was holding out to ask (I knew was about to break up her bf) ended up going with going with said bf because he had a cool car (she actually told me that years later). We had a good laugh as I told her some things never change with her. She is on her 4th husband.

Now I did go a Post Prom Party my Jr Year. Those details are sealed!!!

Senior Prom--Lying former friend of mine told my date that "I had been talking about Friday Night". He had over heard me tell another friend that (said date)and I had gone out after the game and we had a good time. So he embellished the story during a week I was out of town at a leadership conference (remember how long a week was in HS). Hence I had no date when I returned.

The good news from the Senior Prom was about 3 other senior athletes were dumped at the last minute, so we took a bunch of underclassmen money at poker.

JCR said...

Love the picture!

Alas, I didn't go to prom. I was shy and still scared of boys. (Thank GOD for college to get me over THAT nonsense.)

So that is why when Heff wanted to elope, and I said "Hell no, not gonna happen. I didn't go to prom."

Jenn said...

Sorry Kevin, teenage girls suck ... as a freshman I dumped my sweet boyfriend (who is now a very successful chiropractor) for a boy with a car. Yes, we girls are so fickle ...

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

I had dumped my boyfriend about a month before my senior prom and suddenly found myself dateless. Thank fully I had/have a gay best bud who owned a tux and was happy to be my date. We had a blast. At least the parts I remember were fun. We got all dolled up, went to dinner some place delicious with three other couples where upon said date stole the men's restroom door sign for some inexplicable reason, went bowling in our fancy duds, and then to the prom. I don't remember much after arriving at the prom. Apparently I passed out and had to be taken to the emergency room. Too much pre-prom drinking? Nope. I had a killer case of mono from the recently dumped boy. Bleh. The upside is that I couldn't go back to school due to being all contagious and what not, so I took my exams at home and essentially ended my senior year three weeks early.

Kevin said...

Hell I am not!!! Taught me alot. LOL