Friday, September 07, 2007

No, I'm not like other people

I really don't care that much about my birthday and I'm not one who gets angry or feels jilted if there's not a celebration or some big production in my honor. It probably stems from many years of living far from my family and not even telling people in general that it was my birthday.
For example, on my 30th which is a time traditionally reserved for partying and merriment, I was in nursing school clinicals - on the post partum floor as I recall. After a long day of characterizing lochia (and if you don't know what that is, I will not disgust you with a link), I had a very low key dinner with a few friends and was in bed by 9 p.m.. Last year I was on assignment in Virginia Beach and so I took myself to the Cheesecake Factory for mojitos and turtle cheesecake. I can't even recall what I did any of the birthdays when I lived in Colorado which leads me to believe that they weren't very memorable. So needless to say, the fact that I worked last night, slept all day, and work tonight on my birthday does not bother me in the slightest.

When I work up this afternoon however, I was hungry and just as I grabbed the Healthy Choice meal from the freezer I remembered HEY! We just got some Chef Boyardee at the store yesterday, 10 cans for $10!! I smiled a huge smile as I poured my can of mini beef ravioli - a delicacy I hadn't had in recent memory - in a bowl. While I ate my overly processed and tasty treat, I thought to myself .... what a nice birthday surprise!

edited to add - clearly the gods were against me on this, the 34th anniversary of my birth. When I arrived at work, I was floated to the Cardiac ICU which generally causes me to panic and wish that I could be heavily sedated. As I took report on the baby in front of me with all kinds of drains and devices and parameters to monitor that I know absolutely nothing about, the tears that *almost* fell completely removed any joy I had received from my ravioli.

No comments: