Wednesday, January 30, 2008

An addict in withdrawal

It's 6:30 in the morning, the day shift won't get in until 7, I'm dragging so badly I barely keep my eyes open, and I am needing my fix worse than EVER!!

Wow - you're thinking - Jenn shouldn't do meth, as a nurse she should know better!

It's not meth my friends, it's something more common, more potent, more deliciously enjoyable ... sweet nectar of caffeine. I have been an addict for many years, long before I was a night shift worker. In high school and college, soda was the route of choice. Then sometime after college I started drinking coffee, and after some miserable months of working at Starbucks - I switched to tea. At this point in my life, I get it any way I can and during the night shift I usually start "fixing" around 10 p.m.

I've never even considered giving up caffeine, or limiting it - my favorite gels are the GU with caffeine. Now however I'm accosted with reliable data from a large study clearly showing that caffeine and pregnancy don't mix.

WHOA partner, did I miss something?? (you're totally thinking I'm pregnant right?!?!?)

No, I'm not currently with spawn but despite overwhelming evidence that children make your life miserable - I do want to get knocked up at before my remaining eggs shrivel up and die. I figure that being pregnant will be stressful enough without adding in the whole now you must give up caffeine thing. I'm bound to resent my fetus before I'm a month along. So my strategy is to go ahead and make some lifestyle changes now. Besides, many folks would say that caffeine is bad for your body in general and will make me healthier to keep it out of my temple.

Yes, it's been rough. I've cut back and only allowed myself one cup of leaded hot tea or soda a night and caffeinated coffee is now a thing of the past since it's chock full of my #1 drug. (Thank god for decaf!)

It's going to be rough. I'm already experience shakes, strange cravings and the overwhelming urge to throw medical instruments at nurses working in my pod. But I will stay clean, the health of my future spawn deserves it!!

2 comments:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Enjoy your husband before you get preggers. Give yourself a couple of years to know each other. Trust me you will not regret it.

JCR said...

Good luck! Both pregnancies, I totally craved Cokes.

I have to echo The Lazy Triathlete, although I do see why you want to get started. At least try to do all the big things before kids, such as vacations to other countries. And go out to dinner and movies A LOT.

Remember when you were telling me about the Caribou coffee place right by Children's? It was so sweet, but I had to laugh. Getting coffee for myself at 7:30 a.m. on a cold day with two kids when I have to park who knows where, get out of the car, and stand in line...not gonna happen. Enjoy running errands in solitude while you can! :)