Monday, January 07, 2008

Let's Get Ready to Race!!!

It finally occurred to me that if I'm going to actually DO a triathlon this year, it will require my getting on a bike and jumping in a pool. In the past, I found the best way to motivate myself is to find a goal race, make a plan and then do my best to stick to it (or in general to not deviate so far as to injure myself!!)

I did actually go for a run yesterday .... though I do use the term "run" loosely. Even though I was ridiculously slow, I need to remind myself how quickly I can get back in shape if I just put forth the effort. I really do enjoy running, but nothing has been as fun and challenging for me as triathlon. I also think it keeps me in better shape because it forces me to cross train and get outside of the box.


With that in mind, I was looking at some tentative plans for races. I have already promised my old college roomie Liz that I would do a women's tri in the Chicago area with her this summer. We're thinking either the Danskin Chicagoland (which was the goal race that started my quest way back in 2006) or the Suburu Women's Tri Series in Naperville. Both are large women's only events and based on my experience at Danskin and reading the forums and race reports on Beginner Triathlete, it sounds like the Naperville race is better organized. I have to say I really like doing women's only races, there's just a vibe that makes it so rewarding.


So for 2008, here are some potential things on the tri list ...


Tri Little Rock Super Sprint 6/1
Suburu Women's Tri Naperville, IL June
or
Danskin Chicago 7/13
Iron Girl Texas Sprint Tri, Dallas 7/20
Degray Lake Sprint, Arkadelphia, AR 8/17

As for running events, I'm already committed to the Little Rock half-marathon on
3/2. ... Yes, I had registered for the marathon but there's no way in hell I'll be in shape to safely complete the full. Don't give me grief!!

I'd also like to do a trail race sometime this year - there's a 20K not too far away from here on 3/16, but that time frame may not work with Little Rock, my wedding etc. I'm sure I could find some sort of race - maybe in the fall??

So my goals for this week?

1. Run THREE times
2. Put my bike on the trainer and ride it ONCE (you gotta start somewhere)
3. Visit the two public pools convenient to work and join one
4. Visit a gym and look into joining. I need to STRENGTH train!

I'll update you on my progress on Monday

No comments: