Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Don't you have to GET on the wagon before you fall off it???

I have to admit that I haven't been a good little triathlete in training as of late, and so far I have no accomplished my immediate short term goals. I think I underestimated just how hard it would be to find the motivation to get off my ass, which has been firmly planted since around the time of our move. I'm not going to bad mouth myself, or make excuses, but I'm still gonna keep taking it one step at a time.

I have been running twice a week and did 6 miles Monday. It was one of those really enjoyable runs where the air felt crisp and I felt so invigorated when I was finished. I need to capture that moment and remind myself when I know I should go run and I just can't manage it.

Another thing that's helped (strangely enough) is my new Hot Legs running gear. The running club that belong to, appropriately called the "Hot Legs" ordered team gear months ago. I ended up getting a warm up suit, hat, short sleeved tech tee, and a singlet all emblazoned with our logo. I was so excited - especially about my cool Brooks running jacket - that it made me want to go out and run. Much the same way a cute new running skirt gets me excited!!


Given that the Little Rock half marathon is on the very near horizon, I need to consistently hit my runs. I know I can finish it - I'm not even worried about that, but it'd be nice to not embarrass myself. Also on the racing horizon, a local 15K three weeks before the half mary ... we'll consider it a supported training run with bonus t-shirt. I also just found out that there's a 10K the morning of the wedding in the little town where we're getting hitched. If BJ and I feel adequately recovered from the prior week's half marathon, we're going to do it and consider it an awesome way to start the day.

We found a gym to join, it pales in comparison to the fabulous facilities I had as a staff member of the University of Missouri, but I just gotta suck it up. As for pools, our neighborhood has a 25 yard outdoor pool three blocks away which will be great in summer, but for now I've gotta find something indoors and there aren't a lot of options here. There are two that I know of and one that's on my way home (relatively) from work so I'm thinking that will be the best option. If I'm not too tired, I can hopefully grab some laps in the mornings. There is a 50m pool at the local college, but the lap swim times are pathetic and not conducive to my schedule. So we'll see how much progress I can make in the next few weeks ... don't give up on me yet!

2 comments:

Merc said...

When we lived in Benton, we always found the YWCA at 12th and Cleveland to work the best. It's a nice big pool and was always pretty clean. They always have one lap open for lap swim.

The hard part was just sucking it up and going before or after work...I guess that's why my hair keeps getting shorter and shorter.

merc

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I haven't given up on you yet. After the wedding you will be ready to get going again.