Thursday, January 03, 2008

Everybody's Doing It


I'm feeling the pressure, I mean everybody's doing it ... making resolutions that is. I'm usually opposed to the concept of a New Year's resolution much in the same way that I was opposed to giving up something for Lent. I don't think you can better yourself with guilt and I think most New Year's and Lenten changes go by the wayside in a matter of weeks. Despite this preconceived tendency to dislike the process, I suppose the beginning of the year is as good a time as any to take stock of where I've come and where I'd like to go.

Let's Start with the Accomplishments of 2007 (isn't it better to start with the positive?!?!)

  • I ran the Colorado Colfax Half-Marathon with piss-poor training and after living at altitude for only two weeks and still bettered my prior PR by over 10 minutes!!
  • I bought a sensible new car! ... OK maybe not an accomplishment but it's the first time in my life I've been able to afford a brand new car!
  • I improved my 5K time by 4 & 1/2 minutes (so that technically means I'm faster right?!?!)
  • I developed a budget and debt elimination plan - and it's ACTUALLY working
  • I found the love of my life and got engaged
  • We bought our first house which means I now actually have equity in something!!!!
  • I maintained my weight all year

Now let's think about things I'd like to tackle in 2008. I want to treat this as a goal list, not something to beat myself up about if I don't accomplish them.
  • I need to start running consistently again. I feel better and I have more energy when I train. I'd like to improve my half-marathon PR and strive for 2:30 this year.
  • Weight training was my friend! I'd like to join a gym and get strong again following the workouts designed by Cindy my Mizzou personal trainer.
  • Triathlon was so fun for me! I miss it! I'm going to start cross-training and I plan to complete at least two sprint distance tris this year. Maybe an all women's race as well as a local Arkansas event? I have no delusions of grandeur, I just want to finish them.
  • I really want to scrapbook!! I have tons of pictures in boxes and supplies that JCR helped me purchase, but I've been afraid to start.
  • I'd like to eat out less and eat healthier. I'm so bad about going hours on end without food, I need to eat breakfast, have sensible snacks and actually shop so that we have groceries in the house.
Doesn't that seem like a good list of goals to start with? There are a few personal things I have in mind as well that I don't feel like sharing with the blog'osphere, but all in all, I have plenty to work on.

No comments: